Saturday, July 2, 2011

Not helping my ambivalence


The July 1 issue of the Jewish Review reported that former Fox News nutjob Glenn Beck will address the Knesset’s Immigration, Absorption and Diaspora Committee on July 11 during his “visit to Israel.” From past events, we know Mr. Beck doesn’t so much “visit” as trample. The meeting Mr. Beck will address “reportedly will focus on the September meeting of the United Nations General Assembly, when the Palestinians say they will ask for recognition of a Palestinian state.”

Mr. Beck will be filming his address to be shown on his subscription-based online “show,” which, according to the Jewish Review, will be used to promote Beck’s “Restoring Courage” rally to be held in Jerusalem in late August. The report goes on to say that Herman Cain, CEO of Godfather’s Pizza and a current Republican presidential candidate and Senator Joseph Leiberman have said they will attend the rally.

My faithful readers may recall I wrote about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and my desire to understand it more fully. I must say, my research has not made me more of a supporter of Israel. I must admit, I am, to be diplomatic, ambivalent. But Mr. Beck rallying in Israel does not make my support any stronger. In fact, it makes me more suspect.

Oh and the Gaza flotilla issue is not helping matters any.

No comments: