Thursday, August 5, 2010

TRUST NO ONE

Today's paper carried an AP article headlined, Looking for the oil? NOAA says its mostly gone." The article began with " ...the government said Wednesday that the mess made by the BO oil spin in the Gulf of Mexico is mostly gone already.

What's left in the water is still almost five times the amount spilled by the Exxon Valdez in 1989."

Remnants of that spill continue to show up... over 20 years later. The big point, though is... what happened? Didn't we all vote for the "YES, WE CAN" candidate? This report, in combination with its consistent support of the BP lies shows emphatically that the candidate of change is the president of same old same old. The handling of this felonious disaster by the administration has been fairly abysmal, but the explicit supporting and publicizing of such a ludicrous and obvious PR lie drops the administration to another notch on the believability scale.


"'I think it is fairly safe to say ... that many of the doomsday scenarios that we talked about and repeated a lot have not and will not come to fruition,' White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said at a briefing with NOAA's top scientist." (AP article)

Yeah, right. I suddenly feel like I'm reading about Ron Ziegler again. But with a nasty twist. Even beyond Tony Snow or Ari Fleischer. More like Dana Perino, who is now a pundit on Fox. Does that rate as an oxymoron?

But I digress. The point is, I will never be able to erase the broadcast scenes during 9/11. And I don't think I will forget the video on the news of the plumes of black smoke in columns spewing out of the surface of the ocean. There's something clearly apocalyptic, Blade Runner, Mad Max about the world we're living in. I just ordered a copy of Children of Men. I've only seen it once but it (god, I hate this word... ) resonated with me. Lately, I've been thinking about the Michael Caine character. We live in the country, surrounded by rolling hills and pine forests. An hour from a respectably sized city. But tonight, we're within earshot of an outdoor Pat Benatar concert at the Gardens. I guess you could call that comic relief.

No comments: