Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the new frugality

Censored bits on the cover of the magazine are there to protect the doctor, from whose office I nicked the magazine.

Okay. I may not have an economic stimulus package. After all, five figure numbers baffle me. What do I know from billions and trillions? I know I am broker and getting broker. I also know the only cure to this monetary malaise for moi is to not leave the house. And that, my select readers, is my answer to the financial disproportionation you are experiencing.

Don't leave the house.

The minute you open the front door, you spend fifty dollars. Think about it. The supermarket. The gas station. Lunch. Dinner. Take-out. A pool game and a couple drinks at Mac's. Fifty bucks.




Find something on the television. Re-read a book. Go online and look for something arcane or risqué. You're already paying for the tubes, as former senator Ted Stevens calls the net. By the way, I really like saying former senator in regard to the man whose name graces the Anchorage International Airport. International in, "I can see Russia from here."

So, of course, my personal economic austerity plan would never be delivered without a theme song. I give you, and may God save them-- and resurrect them--the Kinks, with one of Ray Davies' more eccentric tunes. It saddened me to no end (for a minute) to see that the song publication rights are owned by ABKO, as in Allen Klein. Yes, I do bear grudges.

All alone, sitting on my sofa
Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa
Sipping at my soda, sitting on my sofa

All alone, sitting on my sofa
Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa
Sipping at my soda, sitting on my sofa

You got all your friends
I got a TV set, you got your cars
And this boy's never had anything

Now I'm stuck here, sitting on my sofa
Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa
Sipping at my soda, sitting on my sofa

You got all your friends
I got a TV set, you got your cars
And this boy's never had anything

Now I'm stuck here, sitting on my sofa
All alone, sitting on my sofa
Sipping at my soda, sitting on my sofa

Oh, oh, oh, sitting on my sofa, oh


http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6ZIjgFtSw

8 comments:

Wonderboy said...

God Save the KinKs...!!!
Great to see an obscure kinks song get mentioned here! I remain the origanl Dan the Fan, The Montvale, New Jersey Hillbill Boy, - Frank Lima

Wonderboy said...

God Save the KinKs...!!!
Great to see an obscure kinks song get mentioned here! I remain the origanl Dan the Fan, The Montvale, New Jersey Hillbill Boy, - Frank Lima

Neil said...

I have Sitting on My Sofa on Rhino's 1988 release Kinks-Size Kinkdom and later as a bonus track on the Castle 1998 The Kink Kontroversy release.

If anyone wants to be on the Kinks internet mailing list go to
http://www.kindakinks.net/maillist/
to sign up.

barryshap said...

Wonderboy: so nice, say it twice.

Evidently, I didn't properly label my January 26 post, where I quote 20th Century Man. I'm not sure which compilation I have "Sitting on My Sofa" on. Dave's guitar work on it is, as most of his work, grossly under appreciated. I am reluctant to admit how long I have been a Kinks fan as it will reveal my age. My father used to bring me the Pye LP's from the UK back in the day, when he was upright and traveling. When I think of the vinyl I sold for practically nothing, I shudder in regret. My external voice says, "Get Over It."

Wonderboy said...

Don't feel bad about your age Barry...saw my first of almost 300 kinks shows in Ocotber of 1969 when I was 16, at the Filmore East, NYC and my life was never the same since! Ray doesn't refer to me as dan the Fan for nothing!
Gpd save the Kinks and all their loyal fans who have supported them through the years and have been there for them through the highs and lows. - I remain Frank Lima, The Montvale, New Jesrsey Hillbilly Boy aka Dan the Fan in KinKdom!

barryshap said...

Wonderboy, I don't feel bad about my age. As the now cliché expression in vogue states, "it is what it is." No, what I regret, as I said, is losing my vinyl to space and whim. By the way, I think Spirit headlined that show at the Fillmore East in '69, and yes, I was there.

Davaudian said...

All day and all of the night....

Blago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.